Friday 14 October 2011

H.J Lim

Last night I went to my first ever piano concert at the Perth concert hall. (For those of you who aren't into classical music, do yourselves a favor and stop reading.)

The lady playing was H.J Lim (Hyung-Jung), a young pianist from Korea, the concert was her UK debut, and it was amazing! I actually cannot believe the speed her hands moved at, they were just a blur as she played, and she just gave off this amazing energy that made you want to get up and start jumping around to the music. Maybe I just feel this kind of a connection because I play piano myself, but I'm sure that it's not just me, Lim has this essence that just captivates an audience. I would definitely come to another of her concerts, and hopefully not have to sit next to and old man who constantly makes weird slurping noises.

Here is a list of what Lim played...

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 
Piano Sonata in C K330 
Allegro moderato 
Andante canatabile 
Allegretto 

Fryderyk Chopin 
Four Ballades 
No 1 in G minor 
No 2 in F major 
No 3 in A flat major 
No 4 in F minor 


Sergey Rachmaninov 
Piano Sonata No 2 in B flat minor (revised 1931) 
Allegro agitato - Meno mosso 
Non allegro - Lento - Piu mosso 
Allegro molto - Poco meno mosso - Presto 


Claude Debussy 
Poissons d'or 
L'isle joyeuse 


Maurice Ravel 
La valse 



In my opinion, Lim could go far, and I really hope she does because she deserves to, and I think she has the talent for it. I did find it a bit of a shame that more people didn't turn up, there were about fifty folk in the audience (including myself) and most of them were older, so I think she could do with building up a younger generation fan base here in Scotland, as well as a bigger all round fan base, though I suppose that is a hard thing to do when you're not a well known artist.

I thought it might also be a good idea to put in some information about Lim, which was provided my the program I received at the concert...


  • H.J Lim began her musical studies at the age of three, and at 12 she moved from Korea to France 
  • She studied with Marc Hoppeler and became the youngest person to gain the Diplome d'Etudes Musicales Completes at the age of 15 
  • Her international career began in November 2009 when a video of one of her recitals was uploaded to YouTube 
  • All this makes me feel incredibly underachieved 


And if you want to know a little more about Lim, just click the link: H.J Lim biography blog 

Miss B xxxx



3 comments:

  1. I love classical music...and now I have someone I need to go look up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw her tonight playing Rachmaninov's Concerto no 2 at the Liverpool Philharmonic- she is brilliant and the hall was packed out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have been amazing! I'm glad she's playing to a larger audience now. I really wish I was that good at piano haha

      Delete